You can go your whole life without meeting someone that doesn’t like pizza! It’s the perfect food for so many reasons. So much so that often times we forget to think deeper about this beloved food. Here are some facts about pizza that will blow your mind!
- Nobody knows the name’s origin
- It was originally a sweet dish! During the 1800’s pizza was topped with things like cheese and honey.
- The world’s largest pizza that we can find online is the pizza created in South Africa in 1990 that was nearly 123 feet across!
- According to one website, 93 percent of Americans eat pizza at least once a month meaning that 3 billion pizzas are sold in the U.S. every year.
- The most expensive pizza in the world costs $12,000 from chef Renato Viola and is only eight inches in diameter.
- Pizza was considered a “vegetable” by the government in 2011.
- A pizza delivery guy was tipped $1,268 in 2014.
- I don’t know how anyone figured this out, but according to the Internet there are 254,770,000 pounds of pepperoni consumed each year.
- Mozzarella is found on 60% of pizzas because of it’s moisture, low quantity of free oil, good elasticity, and “unique stretchability.”